- Doctor of Physical Therapy
- Doctor of Manual Therapy
- Board-Certified Clinical Specialist in Sports Physical Therapy
- Certified Functional Nutrition for Chronic Pain
- 40 under 40 Honoree Northern Virginia, 2021
Dr. Ujjwal Shakya, founder of MMA & Sports Rehab, holds two doctorate degrees, a Doctor of Physical Therapy from Texas Woman’s University in 2010 and a Doctor of Manual Therapy from Ola Grimsby Institute in 2014. He graduated with a Bachelor’s Degree in Bio-Technology from the University of Texas at Arlington in Arlington, Texas. Dr. Shakya completed his Manual Therapy Residency Education from Ola Grimsby Institute in 2011-2012. During his residency training, he had numerous opportunities to work under Manual Therapy Specialists/Fellows in multiple cities throughout the US, including Seattle, St. Louis, Salt Lake City, Dallas, and Cleveland. Dr. Shakya successfully defended his research under Dr. Karen Dubrow (Ola Grimsby Institute in 2013). He completed his Level I and Advanced Level II Functional Dry Needling (Trigger-Point Dry Needling) training from Kinetacore in 2013. He is also certified in IASTM (Instrument Assisted Soft Tissue Mobilization) and Therapeutic Taping (Kinesiotaping and McConell Taping). He is a certified Emergency Medical Responder since 2015. He is a APTA Certified Clinical Instructor for Physical Therapy Students and he loves teaching DPT students from Marymount University and George Washington University through out the year. He is a Board Certified Sports Specialist (SCS).
Dr. Shakya is originally from the Land of Mount Everest, Nepal. He came to the United States for his undergraduate studies and lived in the Dallas metroplex area for about 10 years. He moved to Northern Virginia in 2010 and lives with his beautiful wife Rojina, three beautiful kids: Aubree Rose, Adalyn Maya and a son Asher. He loves to volunteer his time helping others and has provided numerous pro-bono services for his community. Since 2003, he has been actively involved with Save One Life, Inc, a non-profit organization, and sponsors two kids who have a bleeding disorder.
He believes in examining a patient as a “whole person,” determining the source of the problem/tissue dysfunction and determine how the surrounding joints and various tissues can affect the current impairments. He correlates all the finding and provides a specific physical therapy or manual therapy diagnosis, in addition to developing a specific treatment plan for the patient. He is a big believer in patient education and educates patient extensively on proper posture, stress management, proper sleep hygiene and proper nutrition for sports/ chronic pain population.
He loves teaching and teach Doctor of Physical Therapy students from George Washington University and Marymount University all year round. He has created a rigorous residency like module for DPT students with a holistic approach to Physical Therapy.
Dr. Shakya also enjoys martial arts and sports, which allows him to better understand his patients’ specific needs and training goals. Dr. Shakya loved playing Cricket as a youngster but had been away from the game for 14 years. In 2013, he found and joined a Cricket League in the DC metro area and currently plays for the DC Royals Cricket Club. He is also a student at Pentagon Mixed Martial Arts and has been practicing Muay Thai for many years. He also loves playing golf, basketball, table tennis, and snow skiing.
Most recently Dr. Shakya became an Honoree for Leadership Center for Excellence & Leadership Fairfax’s “2021 Northern Virginia 40 Under 40”! The 40 Under 40 award recognizes and celebrates the young leaders of the community and the impact they’ve made in their fields.
- Accreditations Achieved by Dr. Ujjwal Shakya
- 40 under 40 Honoree Norther Virginia, 2021
- Bachelor’s Degree in Bio-Technology from the University of Texas, Arlington, TX, 2005
- Doctor of Physical Therapy from Texas Woman’s University, Dallas, TX, 2010
- Doctor of Manual Therapy from Ola Grimsby Institute, UT, 2014
- Residency in Manual Therapy from Ola Grimsby Institute, UT, 2011-2012
- Advanced Level I & II Functional Dry Needling (Trigger-Point Dry Needling) training from Kinetacore, 2013
- IASTM Certification (Instrument Assisted Soft Tissue Mobilization)
- Therapeutic Taping Certification (Kinesiotaping and McConell Taping)
- Certified APTA Clinical Instructor for Physical Therapy Students
- Emergency Care Responder, 2015
- Numerous continuing courses: Vestibular Rehab, Shoulder Rehab, Lumbar/ SI Rehab, FCE, Elbow rehab, National Sports Symposium- Philadelphia Eagles-Novacare complex, 2014, Sports rehab etc
- Lifetime APTA member & VPTA member
- Certified in Blood Flow Restriction Training (BFR)
- Reconcilling Biomechanics with Pain Science – Dr. Greg Lehmann
- Special Featured in Nationally Recognized American Physical Therapy Association “PT in Motion” article as one of few Physical Therapist successfully treating Combat and MMA Athletes, 2018
- Conducted successful Health Camp for Hemophiliac kids in Nepal for Nepal Hemophilia Society, 2019
- Conducted Multiple Injury Prevention Seminars from – Free for Public, 2012 – current
- Interviewed by Nationally Recognized Practice Promotions for being one of the best online brand for PT Clinic in USA, 2020
- Certified in Fascial Distortion Model (FDM) from FDM Academy
- Certified Functional Nutrition for Chronic Pain (FNCP)- Integrated Pain Science Institute
- Certified in Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) for Chronic pain – Integrated Pain Science Institute
- Board-Certified Clinical Specialist in Sports Physical Therapy (SCS)